Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Avoiding iOS "Sync in Progress"...

As a developer I am often in a position of connecting an iOS device to my Mac for various reasons.

It is vastly annoying that every time I connect the iPad iTunes tries to sync with it - even if the iPad or iPhone is synced with another computer (and even when you tell iTunes not to bother with this particular iOS device). 

So far I have not figured out how to turn this off via iTunes in a suitable way.  I want my devices that are ones I use for business to sync when connected - but not devices for development - which might be synced to other Macs.  I seem to be able to disable it for devices synched with a given Mac but not with other Macs.

However, you can defeat it by simply being lazy!

Simply wait for a new version if iTunes to show up and then don't launch it.

Each new version of iTunes insists you agree to the vast legalese is presents the first time it runs.  However, until you agree (or disagree) no syncing occurs when you attach an iOS device.  Thus as long as you don't need to run iTunes on your development machine you can safely ignore it and its legalese and happily connect and disconnect to your hearts content without "Sync in Progress".

No comments:

Post a Comment